Beware of gaining too much/not gaining enough weight!
Gaining too much weight during a pregnancy will make you susceptible to pregnancy induced hypertension. However, recent trends have been seeing mothers-to-be that are too slim. It is said that not gaining enough weight will result in not only a smaller infant but also makes you susceptible to lifestyle related diseases. In any case, weight control during gestation is very important.
How much weight gain is normal during pregnancy?
The weight a pregnant woman gains until birth mostly consists of the weight of the infant (fetus), placenta, amniotic fluid and blood. A newborn's average weight is approximately 3 kilograms. It is said that a mother-to-be's body stores up necessary nutrients for birth and breastfeeding during pregnancy as well. In recent time, weight gain calculated according to each individual's pre-pregnancy weight seems to be the most ideal.
Ingredients (serve 2)
- 100g cauliflower
- 50g broccoli
- ¼ onion
- 3cm carrot
- 120g chicken breast
- potato starch
- 600ml milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2½ tbsp flour
- a little less than 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of black pepper
How to cook
1. Separate the cauliflower and broccoli into small bunches and boil in boiling water for 2 minutes.
2. Cut the carrot and onion into thin slices. Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle with salt and black pepper and dust lightly with potato starch.
3. Put the onions, carrots and chicken breast in a heavy-based saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of water and steam for 10 minutes.
4. When the chicken breast is cooked and the vegetables are soft, add the cauliflower, broccoli and milk and cook over a medium heat.
5. Mix the flour with the olive oil to make a thick mixture, add it to the pan gradually and cook for another 5 minutes until thickened.
Cauliflower is rich in potassium and vitamin C whereas Broccoli contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals.
It's easy to use for baby food, so it's a vegetable you want to incorporate into your daily life.
If you put flour in olive oil and knead it, put it in milk and heat it, you can easily make white sauce and widen the range.